How to care ourselves after retired
- D.R.Karthekeyan, IPS former CBI Director & Chairman, Age Care India
At the age of 83, I would like to share my state of thinking and attitude that gives me comfort and peace of mind.
- After loving my parents, my siblings, my spouse, my children, my friends, now I have started loving myself.
- I just realised that I am not “Atlas”. The world does not rest on my shoulders.
- I have stopped bargaining with vendors of things. After all, a few Rupees more is not going to burn a hole in my pocket but it might help the poor fellows save for their daughter’s school fees.
- I pay the taxi driver or porter without waiting for the change. The extra money might bring a smile on his face. After all he is toiling much harder for a living than me.
- I stopped telling the elderly that they've already narrated that story many times. After all, the story makes them walk down the memory lane & relive the past.
- I have learnt not to correct people even when I know they are wrong. After all, the onus of making everyone perfect is not on me. Peace is more precious than perfection.
- I give compliments freely & generously. After all it's a mood enhancer not only for the recipient, but also for me.
- I have learnt not to bother about a crease or a spot on my shirt. After all, personality speaks louder than appearances.
- I care for people who care for me. But I do not hate anyone, keeping minimum distance from those whose values and attitudes do not agree with me.
- I remain cool when someone plays dirty politics to outrun me in the rat race. After all, I am not a rat & neither am I in any race.
- I am learning not to be embarrassed by my emotions. After all, it's my emotions that make me human.
- I have learnt that its better to drop the ego than to break a relationship. After all, my ego will keep me aloof whereas with relationships I will never be alone.
- I have always worked for welfare of farmers as well as for Environment and Afforestation. I continue to plant trees-last year alone 2400 trees in my ancestol farm in my native village-DRK Vanam.
- I am still working towards recognition and encouragement of Integrated Medicine - to ensure Health for All. Allopathy is too expensive and unaffordable for many even now. Hence the need for promoting all systems of Medicine/healing that has proved to be effective and affordable by everyone.
- Having realised the importance of Meditation to ensure Health of the Body, Mind and Spirit, I have been promoting Meditation-beyond and above religious divisions. Meditation is Miraculous.
- I have learnt to live each day as if it's the last. After all, it might be the last day of my life. Do not postpone taking care of your health or doing good to others or environment.
- I am doing what makes me happy and healthy. After all, I am responsible for my happiness and health. I owe it to me.
- It is never too late to imbibe right values and right attitudes. Let us start our better life even today!